tool for batch-handling fields on forms (wirteprotection, remove fields etc.)

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Hi everyone,

does anyone know a tool to set & unset writprotection of a field an all (or better on chooseable) forms of an entity?

This would make work much besser and faster.

For this tool i have more ideas,
what about:
  • removing fields from form
  • i know this could be difficult, but even set a field on forms, and i give the tab Name and/or other field and direction in which this new filed on form should placed (right, above, left or under the other named filed.
  • set/unset protection Status of a filed on a form.
  • list the Name of the field on the form (cause this could be another than than the real fieldname).
  • set/unset visibility of a field
  • set Format / layout of a filed (1, 2, 3 or 4 cols).
I know this is hard work and could be difficult and take a Long time for programming, but no one says that this Needs to be free.

thx, greets Pit
Jan 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Hi Bryce,

I don't see the interest of most of features you described. Most of them do not need automation and bulk processing. Designing a form is specific to one entity so what is the interest of doing such things in batch?

The only part that could be interesting would be to remove fields from components where it is used to allow the deletion of this field more easily.
Jan 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM
Hi,

reeeeaaaaallly ???
I am shocked.

We use entities with many many forms. The contact has 4 different forms for the different contact types. The contract entity has 180 Mainforms. for the different contract types.
We use this forms not like MS thougt it to use (for different roles) .. we use it to have the same base-fields in the contract and a few fields are only for some of the contract types .. so the forms for every contracttype showing diferent fields. Some are the same.

I know from Forum-reading that many others use forms like this.

So if i can not bulk update / automate .. i have to upen every form and f.e. remove the write protection of every field on every form, or remove the field itself by Hand from every form.

This would be one of the greates updates, to have a tool, doing this.

Ok, set the Position of the field on form, or making fields on the form, that werent bevore, would be nice to have, but no must have,
but the other Features, i wrote, would really really be a big THING.

thx, greets Pit
Jan 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Ok Bryce, I didn’t implemented such complicated forms but I believe you

If you can send me more detailed spdcifications on what the tool should be able to do and how (in a UI point of view), I could maybe try to do something for you

De : [email removed]
Envoyé : ‎mercredi‎ ‎22‎ ‎janvier‎ ‎2014 ‎16‎:‎46
À : [email removed]

Hi,

reeeeaaaaallly ???
I am shocked.

We use entities with many many forms. The contact has 4 different forms for the different contact types. The contract entity has 180 Mainforms. for the different contract types.
We use this forms not like MS thougt it to use (for different roles) .. we use it to have the same base-fields in the contract and a few fields are only for some of the contract types .. so the forms for every contracttype showing diferent fields. Some are the same.

I know from Forum-reading that many others use forms like this.

So if i can not bulk update / automate .. i have to upen every form and f.e. remove the write protection of every field on every form, or remove the field itself by Hand from every form.

This would be one of the greates updates, to have a tool, doing this.

Ok, set the Position of the field on form, or making fields on the form, that werent bevore, would be nice to have, but no must have,
but the other Features, i wrote, would really really be a big THING.

thx, greets Pit
Apr 1, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Hi,

First of all many thanks for this excellent tool! At the same time I´ll add my two wishlist items that Pit already covered.
  • ability to set field read only and
  • ability to to set visibility of the field
Keep up the good work :-)

Best, - Markku

ps. do you happen to need help with the documentation, like "how to use this xrmtoolbox"? I might be able to help.

bryce2071 wrote:
  • set/unset protection Status of a filed on a form.
  • set/unset visibility of a field
I know this is hard work and could be difficult and take a Long time for programming, but no one says that this Needs to be free.

thx, greets Pit
Apr 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Hi Markuu,

I will try to work on this tool but can't promise anything.

Regarding your question about help for documentation: hell yes! I would like to write documentations for all my tools but I really don't have time to do so and my english is not good enough to write real world documentation.
I will create a new thread on the discussions for this purpose
Apr 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM
We starting going done this path of a new form for each time we wanted different fields and realized how horrible maintenance would be. It's probably already too late for you @bryce2071 but our solution was to just have one base form and have javascript on the onload to show whatever fields we wanted...
Apr 2, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Hi hulk,

thx, we know this solution, butfor us, this solution doesnt work.
On the complete form, there are not only fields, there are (on the left side menu, which is at the top now) linked entities, and this, i think, you can not control with js, or?
and even if i think this one will be controlable (i didnt tested it) .. there are more .. f.e. subgrids, webresources, iframes.
And maybe, sometimes, there are forms which have the fields not on the same place like in another content (form). Maybe in anther content they are grouped to other fields, or sections.
and the last one, which speaks against the js solution is, even if i thik my grouping is perfect. if i disable visibility of diffent fields, the form maybe has big areas with no fields, which has to be ooptimiezed.

But thx ..
i firstly thougt tanguy was wrong, thinking that i am one of less people needing this, but now i am maybe with him. BAD for me :-(

I love this tool, and even the cool guy who did it ... i am reading many many formus every evening after work .. and i see his VERY BIG competency for the msd.crm community. I look forward each time for the interviews of Andrii Butenko.
He is one of the best in universe ... maybe only 4-5 people are in his league .. f.e. jason lattimer, scoutt durow, richard knudson, mitch millam, mahender pal, carsten groth, guz gonzalez, jamie miley, Andrii Butenko.

THX for the tool.

Greets Pit
Apr 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM
thank for this feedback

I just want to let you know that I'm currently working on the tool you requested but only for these features so far:
  • Read only
  • Visible
  • Label displayed
If I'm happy with it, I could potientially add a feature to remove an attribute (it should no be so complicated). Adding or moving attribute is much more complicated and I do not plan to handle it for the moment.
Apr 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Hi tanguy,

thx for your reply and for the solution to implement the most of the wished features.
This sounds great.
esp. the batch removing of fields is very interesting, cause, this saves a lot of time.

and to the feature you are not planning to release.
You need to know, that i really know how much time this needs to implement .. and from reading the forums, i know you are a very busy guy. So i need to acept your decision. I firstly planed to ask my boss, for spending money for you / your project, or asking you how much this could cost to realize, but i know my boss .. he gives money .. but he wants to know exact details .. and till i decribed him, why this is worth and a good thing .. i decided to give you some of my private money, but and now, everyone has its excuse, but this is not an excuse .. i need to order some really needed products for my type 1 diabetes desease, which costs for 6 months 1000,- Euro, i decided to ask my boss for spending.
I really will valuate your work on this project. I am a guy who buys software, if i use it.

i wish you all the good things on earth .. and maybe it is possible sometime to donate some money.

Greetings Pit.
May 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM
hi tanguy,
have you tried to integrate this?
do you need help, f.e.further information or description for my wishes.
or is it to complex to integrate or on your to-do list with low priority?

thx for your really great work.
i hope you can integrate this.would be really really really cool.

gr.to France form Germany
Pit
Jun 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Hi,

I'm working on it but it takes lot of time and I don't have so much time available these days... You just have to wait, it will come one day or another
Jun 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Hi tanguy,
many thx for your reply.
no problem. i can wait.
thx for all.
Greetings Pit

Gruss
Peter Bohn

[email removed]

Tel: 07221/ 80 36 16
Fax: 07221 8035593
Mobil: 0172/ 261 90 76

2014-06-04 9:58 GMT+02:00 tanguy92 <[email removed]>:

Hi,

I'm working on it but it takes lot of time and I don't have so much time available these days... You just have to wait, it will come one day or another

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed])

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com