"Open with..." XrmToolbox

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Hi

Do You see a possibility to make XrmToolbox take command-line-parameters?
I would like to be able to right-click on a file and select "Open with... XrmToolbox Cinteros Foo plugin".

We have a couple of our own XrmToolbox plugins to export and import solutions and data in a quite complex way. One of the tools is used to create definitions (xml-files) and one to execute them.
Perhaps there are other use cases for this as well.

Something like:
XrmToolbox.exe Cinteros.Xrm.ShuffleBuilder.dll MyDefinitionFile.xml
Just some ideas, let me know what You think :)
Developer
Nov 7, 2014 at 10:35 PM
The primary reason that I use the XrmToolBox is leveraging connecting to different orgs, and providing a UI for users to perform actions in. I would think having the ToolBox called as a command line removes all of the benefits of using the tool, and you'd just create your own app for that. I'll let Tanguy add his own response though.
Nov 7, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Hi
My intention was not to have it execute something in a command-line fashion, but rather to open the tool with selected file, just like you can right click an XML file to select to open it in Visual Studio or Excel, I wold like to be able to open it (or some other file type) with XrmToolbox.
Developer
Nov 8, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Ahh... Once again, that makes more sense. I think just asking to have access to the command line arguments in your plugin. I could see that being a possibility. Although in the mean time as a work around you could create a launcher that updates a config file, then launches the the toolbox, and update your plugin to read whatever information it needs to from the config file.